Macronutrients are larger compounds that consist of carbohydrates, fat, and protein. Most Americans consume excessive macronutrients on a daily basis. As a result, 3 out of 4 Americans are overweight or obese.
Micronutrients are much smaller compounds, required in smaller quantities, existing as vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals. It is crucial to receive the proper amount of each micronutrient for optimal health. Simply put, the higher the micronutrient content of foods per calorie consumed, the better the health outcomes.
Animal products such as meat, milk, and cheese contain much higher amounts of macronutrients per ounce and fewer micronutrients. Plant products such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts, seeds and beans are comprised of a significantly higher micronutrient per calorie ratio and less total macronutrients (or calories). Plant products are the only foods that provide valuable phytochemicals, or disease-fighting plant compounds, in the diet.
Evidently, our country focuses on the proper ratio of macronutrient intake, while neglecting to consider the lack of micronutrients in the Standard American Diet (SAD). As a result, our species is growing heavier, with an overwhelming presence of diseases of affluence (heart disease, autoimmune illnesses, cancer, diabetes, etc...) Meanwhile our overweight bodies are undernourished, unable to combat disease, and still craving that which made us sick: high calorie, low-nutrient food.
A whole food plant-based diet is the gold standard of nutrition:
- Low in saturated fat and cholesterol (animal products)
- Moderate in whole grains, nuts, and seeds (plant foods)
- High in vegetables, fruits, and beans (plant foods)
Incorporating a whole food plant-based eating style by choosing food based on its nutrient content, reaps countless health rewards such as:
- Increased energy and productivity levels
- Increased toxin removal
- Significant, sustainable, long-term weight loss
- Achieving and maintaining an ideal body weight
- Reduced cholesterol, LDL, and triglyceride serum levels
- Decreased cardiac risk
- Significantly reduced blood pressure
- Prevention of diseases such as heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes
- Reversal of diseases such as heart disease, autoimmune diseases, and Type 2 diabetes
- Delaying aging while maximizing longevity
- Increasing food consumption while reducing total calories consumed
- Eliminating food cravings and overeating
- Obtaining an overall sense of wellness
These are some of the principles that I teach and expand upon with my clients to provide them with the knowledge to reach optimal health by practicing nutrient rich eating. Check out my online nutrition services and if they don't meet your needs, please let me know why.
PS, If you liked this article and want to hear more from me, please do hop on the mailing list...